タイトル:暗がりを照らす光と、秋へ傾く方位角
2026年9月4日、金曜日。
午前3時半、まだ街も空も深い眠りの中に沈んでいる時刻に目を覚ました。いつものように布団を抜け出し、静まり返った部屋で朝のルーティーンをこなす。腕を通して血圧計のスタートボタンを押すと、液晶画面に表示された数値は相当に高めだった。
無理もない。先日聞きに行った前立腺MRI検査の結果は思わしくなく、「3点」「4点」という疑いの数字とともに生検検査の提案を突きつけられていた。がんだと告げられることそのものに対する恐れは、不思議とそれほど大きくない。だが、切った張ったの手術を受けることだけは、どうしても気が進まないし、嫌なのだ。昨日からの落ち込みが、そのまま血圧計の数字に跳ね返っているのだろう。
けれど、いつまでも暗い顔をして座り込んでいても始まらない。今朝は気分一新、久しぶりに「朝活だより」のシャッターを切ろうと決め、愛用のカメラを肩に提げて玄関を出た。
表へ出ると、雨の予報はなかったはずなのに、肌を濡らすような小雨が降ったり止んだりを繰り返している。雨雲のせいだろうか、夜明けの訪れがやけに遅い。川沿いから池へと続くいつもの散歩道は一寸先も見えないほど真っ暗で、手にした懐中電灯の丸い灯りだけが頼りだ。これから季節が進むにつれ、家に着くまで灯りを灯し続けなければならない「暗い夜道の朝活」が始まるのだと、季節の移ろいを実感する。
ふと遠くの山並みへ目を凝らすと、驚いたことに富士山がその山肌をくっきりと現していた。雲の切れ間から差し込む朝焼けの茜色に染まり、地肌をさらした雄大な姿が、遠くの稜線の向こうに浮かび上がっている。季節は確実に、秋へと歩みを進めているらしい。
横田基地の金網沿いへと足を伸ばしてみるが、今朝の基地はひっそりと静まり返り、外来機の姿も見当たらない。持参した手作りの天然酵母クルミ入りパンをポケットから取り出し、もぐもぐとかじりながら歩みを続ける。香ばしいクルミの歯ごたえが、冷えた身体にじんわりと温もりを運んでくれる。
空を見上げると、日の出の時刻が遅くなると同時に、陽が昇る方角が日増しに東へと寄ってきていることに気づく。帰ってから調べてみたところ、今朝の日の出の方位角は80.6度。1か月前の67.9度から、確実に真東の90度へと近づいている。秋分の日が近づき、太陽はもう間もなく真東から顔を出すようになるのだ。
1時間30分の朝活ウォーキングを終え、無事に家へと帰り着いた。玄関を開ければ、妻の温かな声と、足元で小さく尻尾を振る愛犬のえちゃん(レークランドテリア)が迎えてくれる。
身体には様々なガタが来て、生検や手術といった嫌な選択肢に心は揺らぐ。それでも、茜色に染まる富士山を仰ぎ、暗がりを懐中電灯で一歩ずつ照らして歩いた今朝の1時間半は、確かに私の生きる力そのものだった。白黒の答えを急ぐ必要はない。今日という一日を、愛犬を膝に乗せ、カメラを磨きながら、ゆっくりと噛みしめて生きればいいのだから。
Flashlight in the Drizzle and an 80.6-Degree Sunrise: Gazing at Crimson Fuji
At 3:30 AM, while the town remained draped in silent sleep, I woke up. Slipping out of bed, I went through my usual morning routine in the quiet house. Wrapping the cuff around my arm to measure my blood pressure, the monitor returned considerably high numbers.
It was hardly a surprise. The recent results of my prostate MRI were not favorable, presenting scores of 3 and 4 alongside the looming prospect of a biopsy.
Strangely, the thought of cancer itself does not terrify me, but the prospect of surgery—of cutting and stitching—is something I deeply dread. The lingering dejection from yesterday clearly registered on the monitor's numbers.
Yet, sitting around wearing a gloomy expression solves nothing. Today, I decided to refresh my spirits, revive my "Morning Walk Diary" after a brief pause, and stepped out the door with my beloved camera on my shoulder.
Stepping outside, contrary to the forecast, a light drizzle fell intermittently. Perhaps because of the rain clouds, the dawn was arriving noticeably late. The familiar walking path leading from the riverside toward the pond was pitch dark, forcing me to rely entirely on the narrow beam of my flashlight. As autumn deepens, I realize the season has arrived where flashlight illumination will be needed until I reach my doorstep.
Glancing toward the distant mountains, I was astonished to see Mount Fuji revealing its rugged surface. Bathed in the crimson glow of the pre-dawn sky breaking through the clouds, its bare ridges appeared clearly beyond the distant peaks. Autumn is steadily making its approach.
Extending my walk along the perimeter fence of Yokota Air Base, the grounds were completely quiet, with no visiting aircraft in sight. Pulling a slice of homemade natural-yeast walnut bread from my pocket, I chewed on it as I kept walking. The savory crunch of walnuts gently brought warmth back into my chilly body.
Looking up, I noticed that not only is sunrise arriving later, but the sun's rising position has been drifting visibly eastward. Checking the numbers later at home, this morning’s sunrise azimuth was 80.6 degrees, compared to 67.9 degrees a month ago. With the autumnal equinox around the corner, the sun will soon rise due east at 90 degrees.
Completing my hour-and-a-half morning walk, I arrived home safely. Opening the door, I was welcomed by my wife’s warm voice and our Lakeland Terrier, Noe-chan, softly wagging her tail at my feet.
Aging brings its physical burdens, and choices like biopsies and surgeries weigh heavily on my mind. Yet, gazing at the crimson Mount Fuji and walking step-by-step through the dark with a flashlight this morning gave me a genuine pulse of life. There is no need to rush into simple black-and-white answers. Cradling my old dog on my lap and polishing my lens, I only need to live through today, slowly and mindfully.
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿