タイトル:3.9キロの軽さと、動かない便座がくれた長い朝
2026年8月27日、木曜日。
午前3時30分、静まり返った部屋でいつものように目が覚める。暗闇の中で体を起こし、朝のルーティーンをこなして1階へ下りる。カメラを手に外へ飛び出す前の身支度を整え、出発前の儀式としてトイレのドアを開けた。
しかし、そこで小さな「事件」が起きた。
便座の前に立っても蓋が開かない。ボタンを押しても、うんともすんとも言わず、水すら流れてくれないのだ。機械の気まぐれか、それとも寿命か。70代の年金暮らしにとって、突然の家電や住宅設備の不具合ほど心臓に悪いものはない。だが、今は朝活の時間が迫っている。直したい気持ちをぐっと抑え、とりあえずそのままにして玄関を出た。
帰宅早々、カメラを置いてトイレへ直行した。電池切れを疑ってテスターを当ててみるが、電池には何の異常もない。原因が分からないまま、妻(バーさん)が木曜恒例の買い物へと出かけていったため、私は留守番役を引き継ぐことになった。
リビングには、愛犬のレークランドテリア、のえちゃんが横たわっている。 今朝の彼女はどうにも元気がない。朝食を少し戻してしまったらしく、いつものように尻尾を振って駆け寄ってくることもない。抱き上げて体重計に乗せてみると、液晶画面の数字は「3.9kg」を示していた。ついに4キロの大台を切ってしまった。
腕の中に伝わる彼女の体は、抱き上げるたびに頼りなく、羽のように軽くなっていく。目に見えて減っていく体重と、元気をなくした小さな背中。歳を重ねるにつれ、心配事は減るどころか、ひとつ、またひとつと確実に増えていく。
何かしてやりたくても、言葉を持たない老犬に対して、私にできるのはただ静かに見守り、背中を撫でてやることくらいだ。どうしようもない無力感が、胸の奥を重く締めつける。
そんな重苦しい気持ちを振り払うように、私は再びトイレのリモコンと向き合った。精密ドライバーを取り出し、リモコンをばらばらに分解する。基板の端子を磨き、わずかに浮いていた赤錆を丁寧に落とし、接点をひとつずつ確かめていく。ボケ防止の手先のリハビリだと思えば、この無心になれる作業も悪くはない。
しばらくして妻が両手いっぱいの買い出し袋を抱えて帰宅した。「ちょっと試してみてくれ」と頼み、組み直したリモコンを壁のホルダーに取り付けてボタンを押してもらうと——カチリと音がして、何事もなかったかのように便座が静かに動き、水が流れた。「治った!」
思わず妻と顔を見合わせて息を吐き出した。機械は直ったが、老犬の体調への心配と、細かい分解作業の集中で、どっと全身の疲労が押し寄せてきた。
雨の日は外に出られない。だが、3.9キロの小さな命に寄り添い、一緒に静かな午睡をむさぼる口実にはちょうどいい。動くようになったトイレと、傍らで微かに寝息を立てる老犬。
思い通りにいかないことだらけの日常だが、今日という一日をやり過ごすための小さな灯りは、まだちゃんと灯っている。
Thursday, August 27, 2026.
At 3:30 AM, I woke up in the quiet room as usual. I got up in the dark, finished my morning routine, and headed downstairs. Before grabbing my camera and stepping out into the pre-dawn air, I opened the bathroom door for my usual pre-departure habit.
That was when a small "incident" occurred. Standing in front of the toilet, the lid refused to open. Even when I pressed the buttons, it remained completely silent, and not a drop of water would flush. Was it a sudden mechanical glitch or simply old age? For a pensioner in his seventies, sudden malfunctions in home fixtures are quite stressful. However, my morning walk could not wait, so I left it as it was and walked out the front door.
During my usual hour-and-a-half walk, I looked for morning scenes through my camera lens, but the image of that unresponsive toilet lingered in the back of my mind.
Returning home, I immediately put down the camera and headed straight for the bathroom. Suspecting dead batteries, I tested them, but they were perfectly fine. With the root cause still unknown, my wife headed out for her Thursday grocery shopping, leaving me to watch over the house.
In the living room, Noe-chan, our Lakeland Terrier, lay quietly. She lacked energy this morning and seemed to have brought up her breakfast. When I gently placed her on the scale, the digital readout showed "3.9 kg"—she had finally slipped below the 4.0 kg mark.
Each time I lift her, her body feels lighter, almost feather-like in my arms[cite: 1, 2]. As the years pile on, worries do not diminish; they quietly multiply.
With an old dog who cannot speak, all I can do is watch over her and stroke her back. A quiet sense of helplessness weighed on my heart.
To shake off the heavy gloom, I sat down to tackle the remote control. Taking a precision screwdriver, I disassembled the unit completely. I polished the contacts and carefully cleaned away traces of rust.
Treating it as hand-rehabilitation to keep my mind sharp, the focused work brought a strange sense of calm.
When my wife returned with grocery bags, I reassembled the remote, mounted it on the wall, and asked her to test it. With a soft click, the seat operated smoothly, and water flushed perfectly.
"It's fixed!"
We smiled at each other, but the combined exhaustion from worrying over Noe-chan and doing delicate repairs suddenly caught up with me. Outside, dark rain clouds hung low, threatening downpours throughout the afternoon.
Yet, beside a small 3.9-kilogram life breathing softly, spending a quiet rainy afternoon together felt like the gentlest way to live through today.
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿