タイトル: 夏の終わりの幻影と、ファインダー越しの明日
2026年8月16日、日曜日の朝は久々の晴れ間が広がった。ここ2〜3日は雨が続いており、カメラを片手に歩く日課の朝活ができなかったため、今日はそれを取り戻そうと日曜日にもかかわらず外へ出ることにした。午前3時、ふと目が覚めてしまい、そのまま布団を抜け出して起き上がる。窓を開けると、今朝の気温は20度を示しており、半袖では寒いくらいだった。「もう秋が来たのだろうか」と錯覚するほどの冷気が、老いた肌を撫でていく。
静かに朝のルーティーンを終え、いつものように血圧測定に臨んだ。液晶画面に浮かび上がった数値は、上が146、下が96、心拍数は72。早起きしすぎたせいか、血圧はいつもより少し高めに出ている。機械が告げる老いのサインに薄く笑いながら、私はカメラの手入れを始めた。ボケないため、病気をしないため。そう言い聞かせて毎日ファインダーを覗いているが、体は確実に時間を重ねている。
身支度を整え、まだ暗い夜道の川沿いを、懐中電灯の明かりを頼りに狭山池へと向かって歩き出した。冷たい空気を肺の奥深くまで吸い込むと、頭の芯が冴えてくる。池の周りに到着すると、そこには夏休みを持て余したような子供たちの姿があった。彼らは早起きをしてここに来たのだろうか、それとも、まだ夜更かしの延長線上にいるのだろうか。無尽蔵の若さと時間を纏った彼らの声が、静かな水面に波紋のように広がっていく。その無邪気な響きを聞きながら、私は自分に残された有限の時間を思った。
池をぐるりと一周した後は、JRの駅前に立つお巡りさんに軽く挨拶を交わし、そのまま歩みを進めて基地の北側へと到着した。休日ということもあり、行き交う車も少ないひっそりとした道だった。いつもの空き地に腰を下ろし、持参したパンをかじって一休みする。遠くの景色を眺めながら、愛用のカメラを取り出し、基地の風景を何枚か写真に収めながら家路についた。シャッターを切る「カシャッ」という硬質な音が、私の心を少しだけ現実へと引き戻してくれる。
見上げる空は高く澄んでおり、今日は一日天気がよさそうだが、夕方の空模様はどうなることだろうか。そんな些細な天気の変化を気にかける裏側で、私の心には常に一つの重たい事実が張り付いていた。明日はいよいよ、がん検診の「運命の日」となるのだ。
結果がどうであれ、明日は必ずやってくる。家で待つ妻と、少し足腰が弱ってきた愛犬のレークランドテリア、のえちゃんの寝顔を思い浮かべる。彼女たちの存在が、私の重い足を前へと進ませるのだ。この静かで少し冷たい夏の終わりの朝を、私は確かに生きた。明日どんな宣告が待っていようとも、今日という一日を丁寧に歩き、シャッターを切り続ける。それが、今の私にできる唯一の抗いであり、生きる証なのだから。
Title: Illusions of Late Summer and Tomorrow Through the Viewfinder
On Sunday, August 16, 2026, the morning greeted me with a long-awaited clear sky. It had been raining for two or three days, preventing my daily morning photography walks, so I decided to head out despite it being a Sunday to make up for lost time. I happened to wake up at 3:00 AM and simply stayed up. Opening the window, the morning temperature was 20 degrees Celsius—so chilly that short sleeves felt insufficient. The cool air brushing against my aged skin made me wonder if autumn had already arrived.
After quietly finishing my morning routine, I took my blood pressure as usual. The digital screen displayed a systolic of 146, a diastolic of 96, and a heart rate of 72. Perhaps because I woke up too early, my blood pressure was slightly higher than normal. With a faint smile at the signs of aging my machine reported, I began preparing my camera. I look through the viewfinder every day, telling myself it’s to prevent dementia and illness, but my body is steadily accumulating time.
Dressed and ready, I began walking along the dark river path, relying on the beam of my flashlight to guide me toward Sayama Pond. Breathing the cold air deep into my lungs cleared my mind. Arriving at the pond, I saw figures of children on their summer vacation. I wondered, had they woken up early to come here, or were they still lingering at the end of a late night? Their voices, wrapped in boundless youth and time, rippled across the quiet water. Listening to that innocent resonance, I thought of my own finite, dwindling time.
After walking one lap around the pond, I exchanged a light greeting with the policeman standing in front of the JR station and continued my walk until I reached the north side of the base. Perhaps because it was a holiday, the roads were quiet with very few passing cars. I sat down at my usual empty lot, taking a break to bite into the bread I had brought along. Gazing at the distant scenery, I took out my beloved camera and snapped a few pictures of the base before heading home. The crisp click of the shutter pulled my mind back to reality just a little.
Looking up, the sky was high and clear. It seems the weather will be good all day, though I wonder how the evening sky will turn out. But behind such trivial concerns about the weather, a heavy truth always clung to my mind. Tomorrow is finally the "destiny day" for my cancer screening results.
Whatever the outcome, tomorrow will inevitably come. I picture my wife waiting at home and the sleeping face of Noe-chan, our Lakeland Terrier whose legs have grown a bit weak. Their presence is what moves my heavy feet forward. I have truly lived this quiet, slightly cold morning at the end of summer. No matter what verdict awaits me tomorrow, I will continue to walk carefully through today and keep pressing the shutter. That is the only resistance I can offer, and the proof that I am alive.
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿